This is collection of pochoir prints of antique butterflies from Emile-Allain Séguy’s book “Papillons” published in 1925.
Emile-Allain Séguy (1877-1951) was a French decorative artist. He was well known for his Art Nouveau and Art Deco style illustrations of the natural world, in particular insects.
Séguy was actually commissioned by the American textile manufacture F. Schumacher and Co to produce this book of antique butterfly prints. He simply called the book Papillons, the French word for butterflies.
The book consists of 81 pochoir prints of antique butterflies arranged within 16 compositions. There were four other decorative plates of patterns inspired by the butterfly wing patterns.
Even though the butterflies in the book were illustrated for design purposes, they were based on scientific study. In the introduction, Séguy emphasises that the pochoir prints are true illustrations of actual tropical butterflies and not fantasy interpretations.
For each plate, he includes the scientific name for every antique butterfly and their country of origin.
What Are Pochoir Prints
Pochoir prints are made by an old and obsolete method of colour stencilling. It was a labour-intensive method of stencilling popular in France in the 1920s. It was particularly popular with the Art Deco and Art Nouveau art movements.
With the pochoir technique, every different colour in a design has a separate stencil. The layers of paint (usually gouache), are applied through each stencil by hand with a sponge. The technique was good at providing accurate colour representation with each print.
As printing technology progressed and became more mechanised, pochoir prints fell out of favour as their manual production was prohibitively expensive.
How To Download The Butterfly Pochoir Prints
Click on the title above the Seguy print that you want to download. A higher resolution antique butterfly print will open as a new window on your browser. Click on that image, and you will have the option to save the image to your hard drive.
The butterfly illustration can then either be printed at home or sent to an online print shop for a high quality print.
As well as decorative prints for home decor, these beautiful illustrations would be a great resource for crafting. Either to use as decoupage, scrapbooking or with other paper crafting.
Five different butterflies on this plate discribed as follows:
- Papilio philoxenus – INDIA
- Rides priamus-poseidon – N, GUINEA
- Id. below
- Heliconius antiochus – AMAZONE
- Catagramma mionina – COLOMBIA
- Arraandia lidderdali – SIKKIM
- Caîasticta teutiia – MEXICO
- Morpho achilîaena – BRAZIL
- Délias castaneus -N GUINEA
- Dasyophthalma cruca – BRAZIL
- Gynaecia dirce – AMAZON
- Dione moneta – PERU
- Biblia antavara – MADAGASCAR
- Ageronia feronia – BRAZIL
- Mechanitis doryssus – VENEZUELA
- Heîicopis acis – GUYANA
- Mesosemia crcesus – GUYANA
- Hypna clytemnestra – BRAZIL
- Stichophtalma camadeva – INDIA
- Laxita tanita – BORNEO
- Smyrna bîomfildia – MEXICO
- Papilio policenes – GUINEA
- Coiœnis dido – BRAZIL
- Cyresîis elegans – MADAGASCAR
- Tithorea bonplandi – COLOMBIA
SIKKIM is a state in northeastern India.
- Amesis sanguiflua – INDIA
- Id. Below
- Teinopalpus imperiaîis – SIKKIM
- Id. Below
- Cethosia bibîis – INDIA
- Chrysiridia ripheus – MADAGASCAR
- Id. Above
- Urania leilus – GUYANA
- Panacea proîa zaraja – VENEZUELA
- Id. Above
- Eribœa athamas – INDIA
- Adelpha melanippe – VENEZUELA
- Adelpha bredowi – North America
- Papilio krishna – HIMALAYA
- Hypolimnas misippus – CONGO
TONKIN, is an exonym referring to the northern region of Vietnam.
- Papilio demoleus – TONKIN
- Id. – above
- Cethosia cyane – SIKKIM
- Papilio sarpedon – TONKIN
- Cyrestis thyodamas – INDO MALAYSIA
- Eupiœa rhadamanthus – INDIA
- Cold brookeana – BORNEO
- Erasmia pulchella -SIKKIM
- Papilio antiphates – INDIA
- Pyrameis myrinna ECUADOR
- Callicore marchali – COLOMBIA
- Papilio pylades – CONGO
- Papilio zalmoxis – CONGO
- Hestia lynceus – MALAYSIA
- Stalachtis phlegetonia – BRAZIL
- Delias neagra -NEW GUINEA
- Catagramma kolyma – AMAZON
- Dichorragia nesimachus – SIKKIM
- Elymnias Malelas – INDIA
- Eulepis eudamippus – INDO MALAYSIA
CELEBES also known as Sulawesi is one of the four Greater Sunda Islands. It is governed by Indonesia.
- Charaxes zingha – CONGO
- Papilio blumei – CELEBES
- Argynnis chiîdrenae- CHINA
- Papilio tyndereus – CONGO
- Charaxes cognatus – CELEBES
- Arachnis dilecta -MEXICO
- Hypsa borbonica – CONGO
- Hypsa dominia – CHINA
- Cerace stipatana -CHINA
- Callimorpha hera – EUROPE
- Callimorpha equitalis – CHINA
- Délias harpaîyce – AUSTRALIA
- Morpho deidamia – GUYANA
- Anteros bracteata – GUYANA
- Opoptera aorsa – -BRAZIL
- Zeonia amazon – PERU
BATJAN are a group of islands in the Moluccas in Indonesia.
- Lyropterix apoilonia – COLOMBIA
- Id. Above
- Prothce Calydonia – MALACCA
- Papilio ulysses-telegonus – BATJAN
- Id. Above
(Some of these butterfly images were used for the DIY tea light lanterns craft)
There are many more Art Nouveau inspired prints on the site too, in the Art and Design collection, such as the Alphonse Mucha posters. For other nature form art, check out the amazing prints of Ernst Haeckel.