I’m loving the tropical trend in home interiors at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I shared some gorgeous vintage palm tree prints. This time I thought I would share a crafted parrot decor idea using some of the wonderful vintage bird illustrations on Pictureboxblue.
When I think of tropical birds I immediately think of parrots, toucans and cockatoos. With this in mind, I decided to use the beautiful vintage parrot paintings of Edward Lear for this parrot themed papercraft.
A couple of weeks ago whilst shopping in IKEA I spotted their very affordable BEGÅVNING glass domes/cloches and instantly snapped one up for this parrot decor craft. Any other glass domes/cloches of a similar size will work just as well with this DIY.
DIY Tropical Parrot Paper Craft
The colors with this parrot decor are so vibrant and gorgeous it really brightens up my mantle. I love vintage bird illustrations and this is definately a fun and alternative way of displaying them.
I have created wonderful gallery wall displays with the vintage images on Pictureboxblue. Now I can display them on the mantle too with this wonderful DIY paper parrot decor.
This paper craft gives the images a bit more of a 3D feel and brings them more to life than when simply framed as prints.
There are many other collections of vintage images on Pictureboxblue such as flower illustrations, fish paintings and zoological animals that would also look great as these tropical parrots in a glass cloche.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What You Need To For Parrot Decor Cloche
- Tall glass dome/cloche – such as IKEA BEGÅVNING.
- Bamboo skewers
- Wood slice to fit into the base of the glass dome
- Craft Glue
- Parrot clip art print out – download here
- Matte photo paper
- Hot Glue Gun
- Papercutting knife
- Cutting mat
- Scrap piece of foam or polystyrene
How To Make The Parrot Decor Cloche
1.Print off the vintage parrot clip art. I printed the sheet onto matte photo paper on my home inkjet printer. Before printing I went into the advance print option settings on my computer and ticked the box for “best quality” print.
If you print the images at the highest available quality and use matte photo paper you should get bright vibrant parrots for this craft.
Not only using premium photo paper improve the quality of the images the paper will be much thicker than normal printer paper which is good for this parrot decor craft.
2. Next, using a cutting mat and a paper craft cutting knife carefully cut out each parrot. Simply go around the outline of each parrot with the craft knife. As long as your cutting blade is sharp the images should be very easy to cut out.
3. Next, draw some tree trunks and branches for the parrots to perch on. These can be very simple branches drawn with black pen on white paper (I used the same matte photo paper). Cut out these branches using the craft knife.
4. Next, stick one of the branches to a bamboo skewer using craft glue. Then glue a parrot so that it is perched on the branch.
5. For the best results it’s good to have parrots on branches of different heights in the glass dome. With each parrot prepared I stuck the bamboo skewer into a scrap piece of foam so I could get an idea of how the final arrangement would look.
6. Carry on cutting out the parrots and arranging them until you have enough for the glass dome. Make sure that all the paper parrots will fit inside the glass dome.
7. Finally, once you are happy with the parrot decor design, glue each parrot one by one onto the wood slice base. Use a hot glue gun for this, hold each paper parrot in place whilst the glue dries (about 30 seconds).
7. All that is left to do is to place the wood slice inside the glass dome and display it on your mantle.
I’ve made a similar paper scene in a old fish tin can to make a vintage circus diorama.
The parrot images would also look great on some decoupage placemats.
- Matte Photo paper
- Vintage Parrot Clip art (free to download on the blog)
- IKEA glass dome/cloche
- Wood slice
- Bamboo Skewers
- Craft glue
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Hot glue gun
- Print off the parrot clip art onto matte photo paper. Make sure you select the highest quality print option available on your printer settings.
- Cut out each parrot image with a sharp paper craft knife.
- Draw simple tree trunks and branches on white paper.
- Cut out the trees and glue them to a bamboo skewers.
- Glue the one parrot to each tree.
- Arrange the parrots into an attractive display of varying heights on a temporary foam base.
- Once you are happy with the display and are sure it fits within the glass dome, glue the bamboo sticks to the wood slice base. Use a hot glue gun to attach the sticks, holding them in place as the glue dries.
If you want more ideas for crafting with the wonderful vintage images on Pictureboxblue, then check out the following posts.
- Vintage Seed Packet Arts
- Still Flower Decoupage Tray Table
- Cheese Labels On Wood
- Printable Easter Favor boxes
For more paper cutting crafts visit allfreepapercrafts.