Make A Personalized Cool Vintage Map Pillow
I have a bit of an obsession with maps. Old road maps, tourist maps, and antique maps, I love them all!. I thought it would be great to make a personalized map pillow with my favourite vintage maps.
Don’t panic no sewing is involved. When I say make a vintage map pillow, what I mean is design the cover for the pillow and get someone else to print and make it. I show you how to edit the map of your choice in a free editing programme (CANVA). Then, how to add text and other images to your map, before sending it off to a photo lab to get printed onto a pillow/cushion of your choice.
A vintage map pillow will make a fantastic personalized gift. My in-laws are from Bergen in Norway and I have designed a double sided vintage map pillow as a gift for them. I added some extra elements like Norwegian stamps and luggage labels to the maps to personalize the pillows even more.
Of course, you don’t have to stick to maps you can download any of the wonderful vintage images and pictures on this site and edit them ready to print on a pillow. I think that some of the images in my vintage cactus paintings will make a fabulous pillow.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to see my disclosure policy.
How to edit pictures for your vintage map pillow
- Go to Canva.com and create an account. A free account will be perfectly fine for this project. On the home page of Canva and in the top right-hand corner, you will see a box that says “Custom Design”, click on this box and enter the dimensions of the pillow cover you are going to design.
I designed a standard square pillow size of 18inches square.
- Next, upload the maps that you are going to use for your pillow design. You can scan in any map you want or simply download one of the many maps available on Pictureboxblue. Also, upload any other images you would like to add to the pillow. I uploaded some Norwegian luggage labels to add to the pillow designs. To upload the images simply click on the “Uploads” menu button on the far left of the screen.
- To place the map image onto the canvas, click the “elements” menu button on the far left of the screen. Then select grids, and select the first option the single square picture icon (the one with the cloud in the sky).
- The maps and the images are simply added to the grid one by one by drag and drop. Click on the uploaded map first and drag it to the grid and then drop it in. Add any other images you would like on the map one by one. The additional images can be resized by clicking and dragging the corners of each image once selected with the mouse.
To add any text to your design click the text menu button on the far left-hand side of the screen. Then click the “add text box” button. You can choose your font type, size, and colour. The text can be positioned by dragging and dropping with the mouse.
- Finally, once you are happy with your vintage map pillow design, download the jpg file to your computer. To do this click on the publish button on the top right of the screen and select the download option.
Printing a Vintage Map Pillow
Most photo printing services these days offer the option to print a photo onto a pillow/cushion, such as Amazon. It is often a case of shopping around for the best price and deals. All the services are basically the same. You simply upload your image onto a mock-up of the pillow. Some photo printing services offer you the choice of different fabrics and piping.
For my vintage map pillow, I chose double-sided printing and piping for my pillows. I printed a different map on each side. In the past, I have printed map pillows on both faux suede and canvas fabrics and have been very happy with both finishes.
I think that these vintage map pillows make a fabulous personalized gift. You could print one for your loved one using maps of places special to you.